Monday, June 8, 2009

Scream freedom!

I am surprised by the Chinese government. I wonder why they chose to suppress commemorations of the Tiananmen massacres. Why do they assume that pretending that something that actually happened did not happen will lead to a situation where the world forgets about it? I recently watched the Chinese documentary on Tibet. While some of the stories in the documentary may be true, I do not trust a source of information that insists on being the only source while suppressing others. What kind of freedom is that? Apart from it being rather childish, it negates all the gains that China has achieved so far.  I have immense respect for China and the Chinese people but some of these issues tend to mar their record.
Another disturbing story is the continued detention of Aung San Suu Kyi. You wonder what that military junta expects to achieve. A salute to the guys who fight for freedom everywhere. I hope you will achieve what you are fighting for. Will always be with you in the struggle. Hope everyone will be free.
I did not want to write about Africa, but hey, it's unavoidable. Not when you have Mr Mugabe hosting the Sudanese, Swazi, Ugandan leaders and all the other members of the dictators' club. It is my hope that the newly launched customs union will be followed closely by reasonable standards of democratic governance and I hope the rest of the world including China will assist us in this endeavour. 

No comments: